We are so excited that spring is finally here … at least on the calendar. The temperature may take some time to get a bit warmer, but soon we will begin to see the awakening of life in our yards and gardens. The grass will begin to grow ever so slightly and you may even see a crocus sprout sticking out of the dirt in a few weeks! This means that soon it will be time to start thinking about watering again. Is your Irrigation system ready to go after the harsh winter we just experienced?
Spring start ups for your irrigation system are a good chance to give your entire sprinkler system a complete exam. Not only can this get your system ready for the growing season, but also prolong the system’s life and improve watering efficiency. As a result you could save time, water and money.
Care for your irrigation system last fall probably included a blow out and winterization. Now that spring is here, Pest-End can help with your start up. This is the perfect time to run through the whole system to check it out and see that no damage occurred during those long, cold, winter months. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Hire an irrigation contractor who can inspect all the piping and irrigation components before starting the system up.
- Evaluate if your system needs an upgrade for needs more efficiency.
- Inspect sprinkler heads for damage that may have been caused over the winter. This would include looking for bent heads and clogged openings.
- Inspect every valve and station to make sure the head coverage is proper.
- Examine heads to be sure they are turning as they should be.
Once all of these inspections have taken place the system can be started. A specialists can carefully open each zone and be sure the pressure is correct. Opening too quickly can cause a surge of pressure that may cause cracks. As each zone is turned on, check for rotation, coverage, and correct pressure. Be sure to check and clean and filters that are poorly performing. It is at this point that you or your irrigation specialists will want to reprogram watering for the beginning of the season and uncover the rain sensor where applicable.
Are you excited for growing season? If you need help starting your irrigation system, consider Pest-End specialists. Call us at 1-800-287-4321, 603-382-9644, or 978-794-4321.