It is no secret that bugs, critters, and pests are despised by almost everyone. There are many, many reasons why these pests have become unwanted including behaviors such as: biting, stinging, invading living spaces, tunneling within woodwork, or even damaging the structural integrity of a home. What are the most despised pests? Here are the top five that homeowners commonly name.
- Termites – Although these small pests are helpful to our ecosystem when it comes to breaking down decaying plant matter, don’t forget that a colony of termites can severely damage wood structures including your home! Termites win a high ranking in the “Most Despised List” due to the financial impact these colonies can cause. Latest statistics put annual damage between $1-2 billion!
- Bed Bugs – These blood feeders rank high on the list due to the fact that they not only hitchhike their way into your home and take over beds, furniture, carpeting, and upholstered items, but they also suck your blood while you sleep, leaving itchy bites and rashes. Bed bugs are hard to remove if a comprehensive treatment program is not taken, and can haunt you in your sleeping hours!
- Mosquitoes – These buzzing, biting, nuisance pests can be found just about anywhere. Along with being a royal pain when you are trying to entertain outdoors, these pests can carry diseases that can impact your health for months and even years to come in the form of West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. Be sure to protect yourself and your property every mosquito season.
- Wasps and Hornets – While bees are an important part of our ecosystem and are needed for pollination and the strength of our environment, some bees are more aggressive and pesky than others. Wasps and hornets make our list of the most despised pests due to their aggressive nature and tendency to attack when they fear their nest or colony is in danger.
- Cockroaches – Fear and revulsion of the dreaded cockroach is a story that is as old as time itself it seems. Cockroaches have been around forever and harbor a stigma that the area where they live and scavenge is unclean and unliveable. This is not the truth at all. The cockroach makes our list this year due to that stigma and creepiness factor.
Do you have any of these “Most Despised Pests” making inroads at your home or on your property? Call Pest-End Exterminators at 1-800-287-4321, 603-382-9644, or 978-794-4321 to have your home or property inspected and treated. Our sister company Pro-Tech Lawn Care can also help with pests outside your home and in your trees and gardens.