Every winter, when the weather takes a turn for the worst, and the temperatures drop below freezing, the National Pest Management Association encourages homeowners to take several precautions against common winter pests like mice, rats, raccoons, cockroaches, and spiders. The winter is an especially common time to find pests in your home due to the fact that, just like humans, these critters are looking for a safe and warm place to ride out the winter. Let’s take a quick look at the most common winter pests and how you can control them.
The Likely Suspects
Pests are always looking for a warm, safe shelter and a dependable food source. Don’t think of the winter as a time off from pests, but rather a time when the pests merely move their activity from outdoors to indoors. Homeowners most commonly find that the following pests make their way into their homes during the winter months:
It is essential to the health and happiness of your family that you take preventative measures to keep pests out of your living areas. Pests can cause more hazards than just cobwebs in the corner. For example, rodents, like rats and mice, are known to carry diseases such as Salmonella and Hantavirus. Certain types of spiders can bite, causing serious side effects, and cockroaches can be a trigger for asthma and allergies. Take these quick steps to avoid diseases and allergic reactions this winter.
- Eliminate sources of moisture in crawl spaces and basements. Make sure leaks and drips in bathrooms and the kitchen are repaired quickly.
- Regularly inspect inside the home for signs of an infestation, including greasy rub marks caused by the rat’s oily fur, droppings from mice, or gnaw marks.
- Keep counters and floors clean and free of crumbs.
- Vacuum frequently and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Store trash cans and recycling bins in sealed areas such as a locked shed or the garage.
- If trash cans are kept outdoors, use animal-proof lids.
- Inspect the outside of your home for access points that would allow unwanted pests inside your home.
Do you have unwanted guests this winter? Contact Pest-End Exterminators at 1-800-287-4321, 603-382-9644, or 978-794-4321.