August 31, 2016 11:01 pm Leave your thoughts
When asked to conjure an image of a place where cockroaches live, one probably imagines a dirty, unkempt home or abandoned building. While this may be an inviting place for cockroaches, your home is just as inviting to the common cockroach. Cockroaches come as a wide variety of approximately 4,000 species. Your home is just as inviting as an abandoned warehouse and even better yet is the fact that your home is an all-you-can-eat-buffet to the cockroach. But these pests have more dangers than just the creep factor or the embarrassment factor. Cockroaches can be bad for your health. Let’s examine how cockroaches can be harmful to your health.
- Contaminating Food – Cockroaches can virtually live by eating anything. They eat the food we eat, dead plants, dead animals, faecal matter, glue, soap, paper, leather and even strands of fallen hair. While crawling around at nights, they contaminate open food by defecating on it, leaving behind hair and dead skin and depositing empty egg shells in it. This can mean contaminated food in your kitchen.
- Inoculation of disease-causing bacteria – Health Site reports that, while feeding, cockroaches regurgitate their own saliva and digestive fluids from their mouth to inoculate your food with germs or bacteria residing in their gut. A study found that the bacterium Pseudomonas aeruginosa can multiply extensively in the gut of cockroaches. It can cause several diseases like urinary tract infections, digestive problems and sepsis.
- Allergies and Asthma – Cockroaches can cause allergies. Their saliva secretion and body parts contain hundreds of allergens that can trigger an undesirable reaction. You may suffer from skin rashes, sneezing and watery eyes.In addition to allergens, cockroaches can be the worst enemies of asthmatic people. The incidence of asthma attack may increase if your house is infested with cockroaches.
- Food poisoning– The insect is also a home for the bacterium Salmonella which can cause typhoid and food poisoning. Cockroaches that have not been eliminated from kitchens or restaurants may inadvertently cause a break out of food poisoning.
- Odor-ific – Cockroaches can cause a foul odor in your home or business.
If you notice even one cockroach in your home or business take action immediately. Call Pest-End for fast and reliable service.
Categorised in: Cockroaches
This post was written by sperling